What's in a Year?


Sunrise over the ocean in Madang, PNG
January 12th. Pretty ordinary for most people. The day slips by just like all the rest. But for me it's a critical landmark. It was the day I landed in Papua New Guinea for the first time. I had left Portland, Oregon, USA on the 7th of January and 33 hours later landed in Cairns, Australia. It was only after I'd walked through security in Portland, boarded another plane in Los Angeles, and sat exhausted in the Shanghai airport waiting for a final plane to Australia, that I realized how crazy I was. I had left everything and everyone behind for a country I'd never seen before, where I didn't know anyone except through email or perhaps brief trainings in the USA. Then, on January 12th I took the final plunge, boarded an airplane in Australia and made the last short hop over the ocean to the country I believed would be my home for the next 4 years. Talk about crazy.

I've been reading a book about a French pilot who flew in the second World War. He speaks a lot about courage, bravery and humanity and much of what he says is quite profound. One of the things that caught my attention was his thoughts on adventure and courage. He who had flown on many a crazy mission, had cheated death many times in the civilian and military world of flying, said that in the moments of what some would call adventure or dire risk that requires bravery there really is no true bravery. There's a sort of mechanical fulfillment of tasks that comes from ingrained knowledge and skills that are required to move through crisis. Many have told me that I was brave, moving across the world by myself. However, I felt that it was just a calm walking in obedience to what Christ had asked of me next. I was terrified, but I was willing to walk into the face of what terrified me because I knew Christ was there with me and had prepared the way for me. It was an act of habit, the habit of trust.

Now, 12 months later, I realize that I continue in that habit of trust. Much has occurred in those 12 months. Triumph as I trained and prepared for my four year mission in Papua New Guinea and began to serve at the Ukarumpa translation center. Testing as God asked me to return to help care for my family during a time of crisis. Trauma and sorrow as I walked through the valley of death with my grandparents as they transitioned from earth to God's arms. Doubt, as I've tried to determine what path I am to take in uncertain times that leave me feeling the path is dark before me. The one thing that has kept me going has been God's unchanging nature and my relationship with Him as a result of His saving grace through Jesus. They have been an anchor for my soul. In Isaiah 43 the Lord says "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." These words were given to me by a dear friend before I left Papua New Guinea to come home, and they still center and focus me.

Life with Christ is truly an adventure, but one that consists of everyday obedience and trust. We can trust Him that though life may be overwhelming sometimes -- with joy or sorrow-- He is with us and will not let us be overcome if we walk with Him. I'm so grateful for the last 12 months. Why? Because they have put my hand firmly back in the hand of God and I have had the beautiful privilege of closer relationship and dependence on Him. I don't know what 2016 holds, but I know I can trust the one who is a tower above the waves, a shield from the flames, and a hope to those who put their trust in Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons