Papua New Guinea: The Place That's Stolen My Heart

Markham Valley, Papua New Guinea looking toward Lae
Rank upon rank of palm trees stood in slouching indifference keeping watch over the sleepy earth below. Saw-tooth mountains bristling with velvety, pale green grass stabbed into the brooding sky of skimming clouds and brilliant blue. And out before me stretched the Highlands highway, shimmering in the mirage-like haze of the hot morning sun. A bus packed with passengers bumped along with me, mesmerized by the pumping pop music blaring from the speakers above us. Our little hodgepodge family was packed like sardines into the faded seats of the old Coaster bus. I loved it. The smell of coconuts and mangoes mingled with the steamy wind and the scent of kunai grass that was whipping around me through the open windows as we sped down the highway towards the mountain pass into the highlands.
 I've lived in Papua New Guinea for almost 3 years now and yet, there's things that still take my breath away about the wonderful country and it's people. The vistas overlooking majestic sweeping valleys filled with fertile fields of palm oil, coconuts, cocoa and so many other things. The soft face of a sleeping baby emerging from a bilum as their mother brings them out, as though unveiling untold treasure. The imposing mountains that command respect and woo your heart with their siren song of beauty and adventure. The flashing white of smiles on young faces as you chat with children at play and catch them by surprise with knowledge of their games or their language. And a thousand other things. Orchids growing out of compost piles, and sweet mangoes on a hot day, gifts of fresh produce from friends that have become family, and on and on the list goes. Though I have walked through many hard times in this country I find I love it more and more as time goes by. It, and it's people, have stolen my heart. I'm so thankful God lets me live and work in this place that steals my heart, even in the hard times, and sweeps me off my feet in the best and beautiful times.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons