Dirt, Seed and Bread

Some of my delightful & precious PNG family
I sat hunched over the cherry-red rocks in the tiny outdoor kitchen (haus kuk). My "brother" plucked the rocks gingerly from the fire with metal tongs and laid them gently in and around the vegetables and meat nestled in a bowl of tin foil. My "sister" handed me more vegetable and meat to pile on top and then set about dashing ginger, garlic, onion and other seasonings over the sizzling heap. Coconut milk splashed down onto the rocks and food, and an aromatic steam filled the haus kuk. All of us worked quickly to cover up the steaming "crock pot" of sorts called a mumu (in Tok Pisin). I smiled up at my "siblings" and my “nieces” and "nephews" poking their head in at the door. More family sat outside and I plucked one of my "nephews" out of my "Mama's" hands. Banana trees swayed at the edge of my vision and my "nephew" and I walked over to the garden to admire the corn, onions, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, beans and other vegetables planted there. As my "nephew" cooed and pointed out the plants in the garden, God started to bring together some of the lessons He's been trying to teach me this year. 



So much has happened in 2018. It's been a year of significant ups and downs. During October God really grabbed my attention with James 5:7-8 that talks about waiting patiently for God's return and waiting like a farmer patiently waits for his crops. After that, I kept pondering the picture of a farmer as I continued to work at the clinic, in the various ministries I'm a part of, and in my relationships with Papua New Guineans and expatriates. Then, this month, I was reminded of the verse from Isaiah 55 that say, "As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my [God's] word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:10-11 (NIV). 2018 has been my first full, uninterrupted year in PNG. It's also been an incredibly challenging year in many regards. I've really started to feel like a farmer; planting seeds and waiting for something to happen as I continue to weed, fertilize, water and tend the little plot of land in front of me. Sometimes, I've felt like nothing will come out of my scrap of dirt. Other times, I've been overjoyed to see seed and bread come out of my tiny patch of life. 


What I have found this year is this: God is incredibly, magnificently, undeniably and wonderfully faithful in all things and He can be trusted. Just when I was most discouraged, He sent my new family to encourage me and build me up. Daily, He guided each of you to pray, give and encourage to strengthen my hands for this work. And He sustained you and me so that His love, goodness and grace could shine like a city on a hill to those around you and me so that people around us could come to know Him more as a result. Even when all you and I can see is dirt, God is still working and we will see the fruit, if we don't give up (Galatians 6:9). And when you and I are seeing the bounty of all God has brought about, we can rejoice and patiently look forward to Him coming again. Thank you, for working with me this year in our plot of land in Papua New Guinea. I pray that this Christmas and New Year season you are filled with joy as you celebrate the fact that Jesus came in person to set us free. And I also pray, that in the coming year that you press on towards the goal for which Christ has called you heavenward because we will see fruit if we are patient.

Much love to all of you in Christ!
Megan R.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons