Come and Rest


Sunrise in Madang, Papua New Guinea
The hills are wrapped in a soft grey shroud of mist from the coming night. The sun sets, bringing the heat of the day down to a pleasantly sultry warmth. I stare out my window as the sun sets and I think. I think about how incredible it is that I am here. 

There have been days that I’ve struggled here, I mean really struggled. Days when discouragement and doubt definitely had the upper hand, and faith and joy were definitely trying to make a comeback. Tonight, my mind was pulled back to one of those times a few months ago.

I was going through a particularly rough stretch of discouragement and felt more like David writing the psalms in the caves on the run, rather than triumphantly, in confident victory, from his throne. Around this time, I went to visit my best national friend here. She and I chatted for a while about life, about her kids, and about her concerns and prayer requests. Then, she turned to me and asked, “what about you Megan? How can I be praying for you?” 

I started pouring out my heart about how discouraged I was in my work and ministry and so many things. Then she gave me a strange look and told me something incredible. A few days before a mutual friend of ours, Rachel, had come to her and told her this story: 

The night before, Rachel had woken up in the middle of the night with me on her mind. She began to pray for me, and after a while tried to go back to sleep. But then she felt like God was telling her to continue to pray for me because I was dealing with worry and discouragement. Rachel prayed for me all night. Then, she got up early, walked an hour to catch 2 buses to get to where I live, and to tell my best friend what God had told her. She gave my friend a verse and told my friend that God had told her to share that verse with me. Then, she made the same long trek home. The verse was Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (NIV).

As my friend told me this story, I couldn’t help myself. I began to weep. I was so humbled and encouraged at the same time. The very people I came to be a blessing to had suddenly become my dearest and most needed blessing. In one moment, God had torn down my preconceived ideas and reminded me that I’m his child and He uses his people everywhere to encourage and strengthen his children that are downtrodden, even those that think they’re supposed to do that for others. He reminded me that he both uses me to heal and he knows when I needed to be healed.

Much changed for me that day. Now, when I’m discouraged, I’m reminded that I’m not alone and that, although I’ve come to serve, I also need to be humble enough to learn from, and be served, by those around me. I’m slowly but surely learning to come and rest and to invite others to do the same, just like my wonderful friend Rachel.

Comments

  1. Miss Reed, thanks for this gem of Gods delightful, Loving kingdom.
    May God richly Bless and comfort you with Joy in Jesus Christ. May your Love for your Sisters be blessed and guarded in Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons