Six Years In Review

Happy Sixth Anniversary!

Can you believe it? Six years ago in March, I started my journey towards Papua New Guinea! I thought the best way to celebrate and share the joy with you would be to do a "six years in review" photo journal post. Thanks for taking this journey with me, the people of Papua New Guinea, and especially with God!

Enjoy dear friends! 
Note: I attempted to post this in March, but had issues with the photos. Hopefully they will cooperate now. ;)


 Orientation and initial training feels like it was a thousand years ago, instead of six. Last year I was able to visit the Wycliffe headquarters again and reconnect with many people there. The above picture was taken for me by Mark Borland and was the picture for my first prayer card (2014). 

 
Papua New Guinea was an unknown country for me. I'd been to the other side of the island before, but I'd never set foot in the country of Papua New Guinea. I felt a bit like Abraham, obeying God by going to a country He would show me. When I arrived in Papua New Guinea I didn't know a single person other than via email or Skype conversations. It was quite the adventure (original art, above, by Amy Binder).


I cannot say enough how grateful I am for the Papua New Guineans that have taken me in, taught me, loved me, dealt graciously and patiently with me as I blundered (and continue to blunder) through their language and culture, and who have accepted me as their friend and family member. Thank you God for giving me amazing friends and for knitting my heart with them (2015). 



Did I mention I have amazing coworkers! They have taught me so much over the years. From how to provide appropriate medical care in Papua New Guinea to how to maneuver cultural issues and how to make traditional crafts. I have the best, and I mean the best team of coworkers in the world (2016).
 


 I've had amazing opportunities to do things outside of the clinic that I never imagined I'd be able to do. God's used my love of art, writing, teaching and engaging one-on-one with people to open all kinds of crazy doors. I've helped ink drawings for dictionaries (meaning, I darkened the lines on drawings so that they would be ready for printing), I've written reading primers for literacy, I've taught literacy, helped color pages for literacy apps, done theater makeup, cooked meals, and helped with other activities that God had given me skills for that I didn't realize he could use in Papua New Guinea (2016). 


 My amazing Papua New Guinean Family. I love them so much. They have showed me Jesus, loved on me, and helped me in so many ways. They keep me grounded and teach me all the time. God has truly blessed me with this incredible family. This family has also opened doors of greater ministry for me and they constantly pray with me, encourage me, and challenge me to press on, up and forward in what God is doing in Papua New Guinea (2016). 


 Working as a healthcare worker in Papua New Guinea has made me very flexible and creative, and has helped me grow and mature and expand my knowledge base in so many ways. I'm so glad that I get to be a part of providing health care to this wonderful country and my fellow workers (2017). 


 Did I mention my precious namesake? I love my "nieces" and "nephews" that have so graciously adopted me. Anytime I get to be with them is so special and spending time in their home area is a special treat (2017). 


 I've learned to be a little bit of a "head-cook-and-bottle-washer" in the clinic. I (like most staff at the clinic) work doing several kinds of nursing, on-call triage, and as a lab technician in the laboratory. Sometimes I get to go out to the surrounding villages and help with community health clinics as well (2018). 


 Getting to visit the coastal family that first hosted and taught me in 2015 has become an annual treat. They live about 7 hours away by car, so I can't visit often, but as you can see, I love to spend time with them when I get the chance. Here we're eating coconut in the afternoon and hiding from the heat (2019 -- Photo credit, Daniel Jezowski). 

 My Papua New Guinean family lives really close to where I live. I like to go hang out in the afternoon sometimes. I hang out and play with the kids, chat with my family, and help make dinner. Usually we'll hang out on the weekends so that we have extra time to spend together (2019). 

 My uniform has changed a bit since moving to Papua New Guinea. The culture is changing throughout the country, but it's traditionally been more appropriate for women to wear a skirt. So, I pair up one of my scrub tops with a skirt and closed-toe shoes for my daily work at the clinic (2019). 


 My brother took this photo a few days before I left Papua New Guinea to come back to the USA for home assignment (2019). God has truly been gracious to me these last six years. In all of the ups and downs, joys, challenges, learning curves, face-plants, triumphs and growth. He has faithfully sustained, provided and brought growth as He used me in the lives of others, and them in my life. 

Thank you for doing this journey with me! 
I can't wait to see what God will do in the next six years! 





 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons