Hangamap Long Diwai (Caught on a Tree)

 After a long day at the clinic I shuffled over to my car. It was late and I was really tired and ready to just be home. My mind was full of all the things I needed to do and all the things I needed to decide. I turned on my little car and turned to pull out of the dirt circular drive/parking area near the clinic, when, whump! I found I couldn't go forward and couldn't go backward. I sighed, putting the car into park and climbing out my door. I bent down and discovered, much to my chagrine, that my little tiny car, with about as much ground clearance as a low-riding golf cart had gotten stuck on a tree stump. There I was, my car dangling on a hidden tree stump I hadn't seen and I was powerless to move it. Just as I was about to give up and leave the car for the night and call for help in the morning, a bunch of my friends walked by.

"Wanem samting? (what's going on?)" they asked? 

"Kar bilong mi hangamap long diwai (My car is caught on a tree)." I laughed a little shame faced. 

They laughed and gave their condolensces, and then, much to my surprise, this group of women looked at each other and said, "Em orait. Yumi helpim Megan na pusim car go daun (That's OK, we'll help Megan and push the car back down)"

They dropped their bags and laughed as they pushed and pulled and finally, with the help of a few more guys that came by, we were able to get the car off the stump and back on its four wheels in the dirt. We all had a good laugh and even took a selfie with my little car and our impromptu rescue meeting. They picked up their bags and headed back down the hill on their way to the bridge market to get greens for their dinners and I hopped into my car and headed home. 

 I smiled to myself. My friends here are so selfless and caring. Sometimes, it takes me by surprise and I'm in awe again at their kindness. I thought about how they were willing to just stop and help me. It made me think of how Jesus rescued me. I was stuck with no way to get out of my sin and looming punishment. No amount of hard work by myself was going to get me out of my predicament. And then, Jesus gave His life in place of mine and in so doing, pulled me out of judgment and shame and gave me new life. Ironically, the local expression for Jesus' death on the cross is also "hangamap long Diwai (Kros)". By putting himself in the position I deserved, he set me free. And then, just like the story of the Good Samaritan, He calls me to do the same for others, just as my friends did when they helped pull my car off the tree stump. 

Now, every time I park near that stump, I think of Jesus, and my friends, and how God's love is so incredible that I can't help but share it with others. 

And I make sure I don't drive over that stump anymore. ;)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons