From Portland to Cairns and Beyond

Horsetail Falls, OR, USA
Columbia River Gorge
Hello All,
When I last wrote to you I was telling you of my upcoming departure from the USA. Now, after 33 hours of travel, 3 flights and 2 countries later I am in Cairns, Australia. I decided to stop off here to take a minute to process my transition, get over jet lag and "fuel up" for my training in Papua New Guinea (PNG). Before I left the Pacific Northwest it was cold and wintery, and now I'm in the tropics with the high today around 90 F (that 32 Celsius, my new measurement system) with 60% humidity. It's been quite the transition. 

Cairns, Australia
Lagoon on the Esplanade
overlooking the Coral Sea
However, that's not the only transition. In the last few days I left behind my car, my house, my dog, my phone and everything I had not packed to go with me and set out on a plane to start a new chapter in my life. Although all that was difficult, leaving my family was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. However, they walked with me steadfastly into this transition and bravely faced it with me even when I didn't have that same bravery. Don't get me wrong, I'm so grateful that God has provided, you've partnered with me and we're going to see lives eternally changed by God's Word in PNG. However, that doesn't change the difficulty or magnitude of life change that missions demands and I have been (and am) working to manage that life change. Today, I had some time with God in prayer and time in His Word and we talked about how I should walk through this transition. I knew, and am really realizing, that now more than ever, I need a close walk with God in every season of my life. He is most precious, unchanging, everlasting, ever loving and good and I am so grateful He is walking with me in this time because that is what I need. 

In a couple of days I will head out to PNG to start my training in a place called Madang. I have been able to talk to some people here in Cairns who have worked in PNG or lived there and am really getting excited about my training. I've posted some new prayer requests so that you can be praying for me specifically. I miss you all and look forward to sharing what God is doing in PNG. It looks like it will be difficult to update you frequently during my training but I'll do my best to post weekly so you can hear about all what's going on and praise God with me in this new season! 

Happy New Year from Cairns, Australia..... and beyond! 

Christ Follower,
 Meg

PS
For those who want to know about the journey to Australia, here it is in pictures. :) Suffice it to say, I was exhausted by the end.

One last look at the Northwest
at Sunrise with the majestic
mountains jutting up through the fog
Goodbye for now beautiful Northwest. 
 1.5 hours later: Looking over the San Francisco Bay from
 the airport waiting for my long flight to Shanghai
12.5 hours later (mercifully 2 hours shorter than expected)
I arrived in Shanghai for a 4.5 hour layover
until my flight to Australia. About here I started loosing
my energy since sleeping (as many of you know) is nearly
impossible on planes. Fell asleep in this airport waiting for my
flight. I was worried I wouldn't wake up for my flight
 but I shouldn't have. The water bottle in my hand clattered
to the floor as soon as I fell asleep, effectively waking me and
embarrassing me all in one fell swoop. As my brother would say,
"smooth Meg."
8.5 hours later I arrived in Cairns, Australia
After freshening up I took this picture of
Cairns in Queensland Province
from the place I'm staying
Wow! It's beautiful here!
Looking over the beach on the Coral Sea from the
Cairns Esplanade/boardwalk along the water's edge.
Walked around here to stay awake to try to beat the jet lag
(jury is still out on whether it's helping)
I did not go into the water though since this
area is known for it's saltwater crocodiles
that can get up to 7 meters (over 20 feet) long!
No thanks, I'll stay up here.
And that's my journey in a nutshell. :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons