Mindful of Me



Gossamer cathedrals drape from post to post, festooned with crystal dew drops. Mist curls up between tall spires capped with a cacophony of greens. Across my path sprawls a riot of orange sentinels, nodding their heads at me in the morning gold. Life. It drips from every leaf and petal and stalk and fills the blue air with its heady perfume. 

Today I was listening to the Psalms as I got ready for work and my heart and mind were arrested by Psalm 8.
“Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory in the heavens.
Through the praise of children and infants
you have established a stronghold against your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place.
What is mankind that you are mindful of them,
human beings that you care for them?
You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor.
You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet:
All flocks and herds, and the animals of the wild,
The birds in the sky,
And the fish in the sea,
All that swim the paths of the seas.
Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth.”
Psalm 8:1-9 (NIV)

Some days, it is so easy to become numb to the beauty, the inexplicable and immense majesty, that our God displays on a regular basis. How often I act as though the spiders’ webs are mundane, the morning clouds and the trees are typical, the bright flowers a nuisance on my way to work. But these are heralds, prophets, watchmen, reminding me of the greatness of the God that I am serving and who has chosen to pluck me from death to life. Oh that my soul would daily cry out, as the Psalmist, “Lord, Oh Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth.” I pray that I would daily live in that awe, rather than merely glimpsing it on misty mornings when I bother to slow down enough to appreciate the God who spun the cosmos into existence with a word. I want to regularly be captivated by the God who chooses to be mindful of me and to set me in a place of love, regard and honor because of the death and resurrection of His Son, Jesus.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons