Saying Goodbye to Say Hello



"Lone Tree" hill near where I live

Clouds pile up against the shoulders of the mountains. The rippling call and response of the unique birds of this country pierce the early evening. The scent of bananas mingles with cooking fires and the earthy, moist clay of the dirt roads. I breathe it all in, stop and try to taste it, to live it, to truly see it and hold it in my mind’s eye. Then I realize it; I’m trying to say goodbye while at the same time, I’m trying to prepare myself to say hello.

For over four years I have lived here in Papua New Guinea. It has become my home. I have chosen to immerse myself in its people, its culture, its food, its life. I have become a different woman. No longer fully American, neither have I fully become Papua New Guinean. I have learned to love this country and its people. I’ve also mourned with them, rejoiced with them, and rise and fall with them to a certain extent. They’ve become my family, my friends, my mentors and spiritual leaders. And they’ve allowed me to become the same to them. It’s been a season of trying to lose myself in the new in order to become all things to all people so that some could know Jesus and His Word better.

Now however, I’m looking ahead and realizing that I will be going “home” for a season. In a couple of months I will return to the USA for a season of reconnecting with people and sharing about my work before coming back to Papua New Guinea. I’m overjoyed as I look forward to the “hellos” and the sweet reunions. However, my heart is also sad for all of the goodbyes as well. The first time I came to Papua New Guinea, saying goodbye to friends and family in the USA was like a knife in my chest. I knew I was doing the right thing leaving, but that hardly relieved the sting of having to tear myself away from those I loved. Now I face the dilemma of having to do that in reverse.

In the middle of all this muddle of emotion, I’ve been pondering Paul’s words in his letter to the Philippians. He said, “[…] for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:11-13 NIV 1984)

Sunset over the hills behind my house
I keep asking God that I would be content both in the coming and going, the sorrow and rejoicing, the loss and the hope. I want people to see that I can do everything – even being content in transition – through Jesus who gives me my daily strength. I lean on Him as I say goodbye to my new home in preparation to say hello to my old one, and as I seek to be content in every situation to show His courage and kindness in and through me as a precious secret of contentment revealed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons