What do you think of when you hear the word “missionary”? Adventurous? Crazy? Super spiritual? Sacrificial? Brave? These are a few that I’ve heard on my journey. But do you want to know what word I think of when I think of when I hear the word “missionary”?

Human.

We missionaries are intensely human and need God’s grace for every day just like any one else intent on following Christ. This month I am experiencing the great privilege of attending a training course designed to help very human missionaries deal with very human problems. They’re teaching us things like language and culture acquisition, tools to use when trying to integrate into a new country, key attitudes for cross-cultural teams and ministry, how to use our personality strengths to build up and not tear down on ministry teams and much more. However, what I’m most grateful for is their emphasis on spiritual vitality to prevent emotional and relational shipwrecks. Strangely enough, it’s easy to get busy with the activities of ministry and neglect your spiritual health. Then, by the time you reach your assignment your tool-belt is full of all you need to accomplish the task you set out to do but your spiritual hardiness is at an all time low and you no longer have the spiritual strength to put one foot in front of the other. This causes all kinds of very human clashes on the field in marriages, teams and with those we’re trying to reach.

I feel very strongly that God has brought me here at this time for a reason. That’s not to say that this time is without it’s pain. As God’s been getting into the recesses of my heart it has hurt to have the infection and dead areas removed but the results are oh so worth it. This is very healthy timing for me as I’m moving forward in ministry and God is really helping me to regain some spiritual strength and fill my spiritual tool-belt with what I need to not only survive, but thrive spiritually on the field. Thank you Lord for this opportunity to learn and grow and have my hands strengthened for the work you have ahead.



“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble hands and weak knees.”
Hebrews 12:11-12 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons