A Choice Not a Feeling

Sunrise in Madang, Papua New Guinea
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
Hebrews 11:1 (KJV)


Hope is a choice not a feeling. Hope is a gift, not something you can muster up in your own strength.


Today I realized something. The difference between the voice of my shepherd, Jesus, and my enemy, Satan.


My enemy says, "what will you do when those things you most fear happen?"


My shepherd asks, "will you trust me if the things you most fear happen?"


That's a big difference. I was reading Hebrews and talking with a group of ladies this week about Abraham when God asked him to sacrifice his only son Isaac. Now we have the benefit of knowing the end of the story -- where God breaks in at the last minute to tell Abraham not to sacrifice his son because He saw that Abraham would be obedient no matter what -- but Abraham didn't. For all he knew he was really going to have to kill his son. God spared him at the last moment but what do you think had to be going through Abraham's mind? What are you thinking God? This is the son you promised me, I can't have another. I'm sure the enemy was having a field day too; preying on Abraham's fears and doubts. Hebrews says that Abraham had to know that the Lord would raise Isaac from the dead because of the promise. However, Abraham had to choose to believe the promise, he had to choose to hope.


I've been in a new season in my relationship with Jesus. One of trust, surrender, obedience, vulnerability. I've been thinking about that verse from Job quite a bit lately, "Though he slay me, I will hope in him;" (Job 13:15a ESV) i have been asking myself, is this truly my attitude? Do I really trust the Lord that much?

You see the difference in the two questions I'm being asked by my enemy, Satan, and my Savior, Jesus, is this: 
the enemy is asking if I can trust myself in a heavy unknown, and Jesus is asking if I will trust Him.


One thing I'm learning is that I am truly weak but I'm coming to understand the unending strength of Jesus who is my master, shepherd, friend, savior and everything else I need. So, I choose hope today because I choose to trust Him who rescued me and rescues me still.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons