An Anchor For The Soul

At the end of this week I will have been back in Papua New Guinea (PNG) for a month. It’s hard to believe. I can hardly believe it myself. In the last month I said goodbye once again to friends and family in the USA, packed my bags, flew around the world, resettled in my apartment and restarted my job at the clinic here in the Eastern Highlands Province of PNG. What a whirlwind. It’s been such a joy to reunite with my Papua New Guinean and missionary friends and to start jumping back into my life here.

However, it’s also had its challenges. Transitions always do have challenges. Because the center where I live has a population of primarily missionaries it means there’s a lot of flux and change as people leave to go to villages, or go research new language areas, or go home for fuloughs, or return from furloughs, or come for the first time, etc, etc… It’s a place of a lot of transition. There’s been changes in how things are done at the clinic and who does what. There have been changes in how things are done on the center and in the jobs and locations of my Papua New Guinean friends and missionary friends. It feels sort of like a merry-go-round where the world seems to spin around a fixed point.

In the midst of this transition I realized how grateful I am for the fixed point in my life – Jesus. I’ve been through a lot of changes in the last year but you know what? The most important thing in my life has not changed and that is my Savior and Lord, Jesus. Isn’t that a joy? I know that many of you are experiencing changes and transitions: kids are moving out of the house and now you’re suddenly empty nesters; jobs change and you have to move; churches change and you find yourself in flux yet again; and, and, and. We all face change but Jesus does not change. Hebrews talks about our hope in Jesus Christ and how it is an anchor for our souls, firm and secure. Wow! God’s promises are firm and secure like an anchor holding a ship in place in the midst of storms. I’m so grateful and so comforted that no matter how much my life may be in transition, or your life for that matter, we can hold onto the sure anchor of Jesus and the promises of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons