Set In A Family



Photo credit to Randy Lider, aviation
Rain splashes on the dirt road outside my house and plunks on my tin roof.  Little rivers of runoff rush down the hillside toward the river wandering lazily outside the center. The tall Jacaranda trees release their own shower of delicate blue, trumpet-shaped flowers.  I’m back in Papua New Guinea (PNG). It’s hard to believe that I arrived back here only a few days ago. I spent over 30 hours traveling between my hometown and my new home here. I hopped to San Francisco, Los Angeles, Brisbane (Australia) and Port Moresby (PNG) before climbing into the final small aircraft that would take me home to my beloved highlands.

I wondered as we turned from the coast and headed up and over the mountains what it would be like to be back in Ukarumpa (the translation center where I live). I wondered who would meet me at the airstrip, what it would be like to transition back once again, what it would be like to reintegrate into work, ministry, friendships. Before I knew it we were circling the center on our descent to the airstrip. As we set down and turned off the runway I was shocked to see not just a few, but many faces waiting to greet me and welcome me home. Overwhelmed in a wave of love and support I was embraced and hugged by, and shook hands and shared joy with each one of my new family here.

What a blessing. I couldn’t help but thank God for His great love and goodness to fulfill my desire and promise of almost two years ago. I asked the Lord to fulfill His promise to me to “set the lonely in families” when I moved to Papua New Guinea (PNG). I was taking a huge leap, leaving everything and everyone I had ever known to go to a place I had never even seen before. I asked God to give me family and friends and He did. I was being loved and hugged and welcomed by the very precious family that He had so graciously provided me here in PNG just as I had asked him.

I may not know what the future holds or how everything will go in the next few months with transitions, friendships, and reintegration, but I do know this – God will be with me right in the midst of it and He is faithful to His promises.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons