The Insignificant


     This may come as a shock to some, but many days my work feels insignificant. I fill my working hours with checking vitals signs, charting, counting pills, giving instructions, performing treatments. I spend my lunches praying with a group, or listening to or teaching a Bible study, or meeting with one of the girls in my community group. At night when I’m not spending time with friends I’m whittling away at rewriting literacy materials so they can be used in the initial stages of Bible translation. One day flows into the next and I feel like I’m just living life. Nothing fantastic or dramatic or epic, just putting one foot in front of the other, trying to be faithful with what’s in my hands.

       I guess, in a way I had envisioned something different for missions work. I think a lot of people do even though we try to bluster and say we know missions is about living life and sharing Christ in a different country.  I was musing on this today and wondering if I’m making a difference at all with the work I do here. But then God reminded me of all the little, everyday, insignificant acts that he did in his life and ministry here on earth. He loved on children, went fishing with his disciples, washed feet, went to weddings. Everyday, ordinary acts. Yeah, he preached and healed and did miracles but they were more like the frosting on the cake, not the meat of what he was doing.

      God reminded me that he uses the ordinary, common and insignificant acts for His glory and for His purpose of drawing people into relationship with Him just as much as he uses the big, flashy stuff. He reminded me that my “insignificant” is truly significant in the plan He has for me to be a part of extending his kingdom here. I want to encourage you too. Your “insignificant” is significant in God’s grand plan. The dishes, the kids, the job, the lawn, they can all be a part of what God desires to do to bring people to himself if you put yourself and your path in His hands and trust Him for the results.

Comments

  1. Brings to mind:
    "If just a cup of water I place within your hand, then just a cup is all that I demand..." - Hymn "Follow Me" - by Ira Stanphill. Probably a reference to Matthew 10:42... - Kelvin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons