Immanuel: God With Me





“”The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” which means, “God with us.”” 
Matthew 1:23 (NIV)

We’ve heard it a million times, could recite it in our sleep. We intellectually understand it and once a year actually probably think about it a little bit. But how would our lives look different if we walked around acting like it was true?

For instance, I’m a nurse, that’s who I am. But lets pretend for a minute that you didn’t know me and someone told you I was a nurse. You have heard it a thousand times from others that I’m a nurse, you could recite it in your sleep. You intellectually understand it and whenever you have a sniffle or an ache you actually probably think about it a little bit. But what would happen if, in a crisis you had me in the room with you and, instead of asking me to help, you turned to your friend and asked for help or whipped out your cell phone to Google what to do or call an ambulance. That would seem pretty ridiculous wouldn’t it? Why? Because I’m standing right there. I’m a nurse and I probably know exactly what to do and how to help. The outcome would be pretty different if you acted like I was truly a nurse.

My example is obviously a little far fetched. People hardly ever forget I’m a nurse and they hardly ever fail to ask me about their medical questions. And most certainly they never turn to a non-medical friend or their cell phone when a medical emergency arises and I’m anywhere nearby. But I think you get my point. We do exactly that with Jesus, Immanuel, God with us. In the lows and highs of life we act as if Jesus is the wallflower in our proverbial room. He’s invisible not only in the flesh but also in our thinking. We forget he’s there, forget he wants to be part of what we’re doing, forget that he could help us if we’d give him the chance. In fact, he’d love to help us and wants to be involved in our everyday lives. He doesn’t care if its the mundane and daily tasks of dishes and shuttling kids and working on the bills. He did similar things when he was on earth. He also doesn’t mind when we run to him in panic in the difficult, crazy and uncertain times of our loves. He has the expertise and the desire to help in the toughest situation. And he wants to be part of our victory and joys, smiling with us as we celebrate and laugh and delight in life. 

You see, if we really acted like it was true that God was with us during every moment of our lives, our lives would look a lot different. We’d probably talk to God more and freak out a little less. I think we would walk with a little more confidence and a little less fear and worry. Our speech and actions would look a little more like Jesus’ because we would more intentionally be including Jesus in our every day life and his personality and habits would rub off on us a little bit more.

Lately Jesus has been trying to remind me that he truly is Immanuel in my life. He is with me, twenty-four seven, and if I want to be more like Him it won’t happen when I try harder, or talk to friends, or read it out of books or off the internet. I can only be more like him when I’m actually being intentional about spending time with him. Not just in my “quiet time” or morning devotions, but in every moment of the day. Not so much in doing, but more in being, abiding, connecting myself to him like a branch to a vine. It’s a simple, well-worn truth but a difficult one to practice in my upside down culture of work, work, work.

So, this season as we focus on the birth of Jesus let’s remember that He came and died in our place and rose from the dead so that he could truly be God with us. Our Immanuel, yesterday, today and forever in our every moment.

Comments

  1. hugs dear meg!!!!!!!!!!. you are wise beyond years and have a great way with words. thank you for sharing this. you are loved,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons