Namesake


Megdaniel and I (credit Michael)
 He was finally here. I had waited the exciting and anxious months with my friend Rhona from her first whispered confidence to her tense days before his arrival. Now my friend gently placed the bilum on the floor, lifted him out and placed him in my arms. He was perfect. I felt so overwhelmed with joy. I felt a little ridiculous. I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face, and pride and joy welled up in my heart threatening to burst out of me at any moment. I looked up at my friend and it was as if she could read my heart through my eyes.
“ We wanted to name him after you,” she said, “but since Megan is a girl’s name we decided to put your name inside his first name. You will be his namesake.”
My eyes began to blur. Namesake. Wow.
“Thank you,” I murmured and my eyes dropped down to his sleeping face. I stroked his downy hair and marveled that God would bless me so much to bring me inside this family and honor me with a namesake.

In many areas of Papua New Guinea (PNG) it is custom for families to name their children after family members or friends who are significant or special in their lives. The meaning of this honor was not lost on me. I could feel its weight as well as its beauty as the family told me his name.

About a month after my namesake was born Rhona invited me to come and meet her husband, Michael’s family who was visiting from a distant area of PNG. I shook hands with Michael’s family and chatted with them and Rhona’s father until Michael started the program for the mini naming ceremony. Normally this ceremony would be held in Michael’s family area and there would be dancing, eating, worship and celebrating and a much larger program. However, opportunities had fallen through and the family had made a way to send the baby’s other namesake – Michael’s uncle –to attend this special celebration to mark the naming of the new baby and his entrance into Michael and Rhona’s combined families.

They asked me to pray and then the program began in earnest. Michael spoke about how they had chosen the baby’s namesakes and the significance of that choice. Then each family member spoke in their turn. Then Michael declared the baby’s name, that had previously been a secret to all but a few. His name was to be Megdaniel Dorse. Michael’s uncle Dorse held the little Megdaniel and spoke his name as though it were fragile – like a bird that would fly away or a seedling that would shrivel if you spoke too loud.

Again I was overwhelmed and honored to be included in this precious family in this way. I felt so loved and included and so blessed. It is true, what God promised; He does indeed set the lonely in families and He himself restores and gives good gifts. I am so grateful this precious family is part of the fulfillment of those promises. And even more grateful that God sent His Son Jesus to buy us back and give us a new name and a new identity as His namesakes, made new by forgiveness and love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brokenness, Hope, and the Now and Not Yet

A Creepy Crawly Welcome

Seasons